5-point lock: definition, specificities, price, installation steps
In the vast majority of cases of burglaries, the thugs enter the dwelling through the front door. The latter must therefore offer maximum security to prevent intrusions. The 5-point lock is one of the most effective models in this area to protect you. Find out everything you need to know about her.
What is a 5 point lock?
A 5-point lock is a locking system that has 5 anchor points. You should know that the more an entrance door has, the more secure it is because it is firmly fixed in the frame. It is, therefore, a highly secure multipoint lock model against break-in attempts.
This type of lock can be installed in different ways: surface-mounted, streamlined or recessed.
The 5 locking points are located all around the door. We then count:
- 3 side points at the level of the lock,
- A vertical point on the upper area of the door,
- A vertical dot on the lower area of the door.
🔑 Even if this system seems complex, the same key is enough to lock and unlock all these bolts!
How to recognize a 5 point lock?
If at first glance, it looks like a 3-point lock, the 5-point lock has 5 closing points, not 3.
How much does a 5 point lock cost?
Its high security, complexity, and solidity make this equipment a real investment. Thus, it is necessary to count between 350 $ and 850 $, or even more for an A2P lock.
How to install a 5 point lock?
Do you want to install a 5-point lock on the wall? Here’s how:
- Dismantle all the elements belonging to the old lock ( handle, finishing plate, lock, and strike plate on the frame),
- Using the template, locate and mark the locations of the cylinder and fixings of your new multipoint lock,
- Fill in the holes left by your old locking system,
- Drill the center hole, then install the main trunk of the 5 point lock,
- Drill the appropriate holes, then put the linkage in place, parallel to the edge of the door,
- Fix the guides on the upper and lower parts,
- Position, in order: the upper striker, the central striker, and, finally, the lower striker,
- Screw-in the cover plate and test your installation.
👉 If it is quite possible to install an apparent 5-point lock on your own, it is best to call a locksmith for a multipoint system or integrated into the door.
In summary, the 5-point lock guarantees optimal security for your front door, whether exposed or recessed. However, regarding its installation, do not hesitate to contact a locksmith if you are not comfortable with this intervention!
If you need a locksmith in Tampa to install door locks and replace locks just call Locksmith Near Me Tampa Bay.