How do I Setup my Dlink Wifi Extender?
If you have just purchased a new Dlink extender or you have one and it has just been reset. And you are thinking of how to go about the D’link wifi extender setup. Well, you are reading the right post. You will see how you can carry out this task in three various ways. Setting up your Dlink extender is quite easy and you can do that in three ways.
- Through the web based method
- Through the Dlink app
- And lastly through the WPS button
Guide on how to setup Dlink extender through http://dlinkap.local
If you are going to use the web based method to set up your Dlink extender, you will need to keep some tools handy. One of the benefits of this method is that it allows you to perform more advanced settings to your extender and network. So below are the steps it takes to set up your Dlink wifi extender smoothly.
- Place your Dlink extender close to your router. Go ahead and plug your extender into an electric outlet.
- The next thing to do is to connect your computer to the network of your extender. Open your computer and navigate to the “Settings”. Go to “Wifi” and enable it. From the available networks, select the network name of your Dlink extender. Then type in the “Password” to connect to the network.
- Once connected. Launch the browser on your computer. And in the web link bar, type in http://dlinkap.local and press “Enter”.
- Now you will be on the login page. Carefully type in “admin” as the default username and leave the password field blank.
- Subsequently, once you are logged in, select “Setup Wizard”. You will be given a short detail on the function of the Wizard.
- Select “Next”
- On the next page, you will be asked to choose the option in which you would like to finish setup. Select the manual option. And click on “Next” to proceed with the D’link wifi extender setup.
- The next thing to do is to select the network that you would like to extend. After choosing the network, click on “Select”.
- Afterward, type in the password of your wifi and select “Next”
- A Network Name and Passkey will be automatically generated for your dual band networks. However, if you would like to personalize this information, you can edit it.
- Select “Next”
- A page will be displayed showing the summary of your settings.
- Lastly, click on “Save” to apply your changes.
Setup Dlink Wifi Extender through Dlink App
To set up your Dlink extender through the App, you can follow the steps below.
- Firstly, you have to download the app from the Google Playstore or the Apple Store. Connect your smartphone to the home network and then launch your Dlink App.
- Tap on “Start”. After that, select “Next”.
- Next, from the list of displayed networks, select the one for your home wifi and type in your wifi to connect to it.
- Afterward, you have to provide one after the other, the network name and passkey for your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and select “Next”.
- Next, you have to set a password for your network for safety purposes.
- Select “Next”
- The next page will display all the modifications you have made. If everything is fine with you, select “Save”
- To complete your D’link wifi extender setup, reboot your extender.
How to use WPS button for Dlink Extender Setup
This is considered the fastest way to set up your Dlink extender.
- First, move your extender close to your main router.
- Next, plug in your Dlink extender into an electric outlet. Pause until you see a blinking Amber colour then you may proceed.
- On your main router, press the WPS button
- Subsequently, within one minute, you have to press the WPS button on your Dlink extender too. You will notice that it begins to blink green colour and when the connection is secured with the router, the colour becomes solid.
- Once the extender is synched with the main router, you can unplug the extender and position it where you want it to be. However, it shouldn’t be far from the main router.