A professional scrum master is a quality facilitator who can manage complicated tasks. He/she is responsible for making sure to create a cooperative project atmosphere that improves productivity and increases business value. The PSM is the main contributor to making sure that the project’s success is achieved by using the scrum tools and techniques. PSM certification gives the validity that a person understands the Agile and Scrum practices.
A scrum master is the most important part of the agile project because he/she helps to remove the roadblocks and facilitate processes for the entire team. The scrum master makes sure that the values and practices of Scrum are understood by the team and followed well while doing the project. The position of a scrum master is in high demand and it is highly valued in the industry.
Eligibility For becoming a PSM
Generally, there is no particular requirement to become a PSM. Anyone can become a professional scrum master. Learning the concepts and training for assessments are the main things required for becoming a good scrum master. You have to take the official exam to get the certification. You should have important knowledge about scrum.
Importance of PSM training
It is important for scrum masters as it can help them to further enhance their skills and capabilities. Proper PSM training will help the individuals in the following ways:
- It will help them to overview the project, understand the terms and why it is important to apply the different terms to the project and understand the purpose of a particular project.
- It will help them to understand their role in the project, their participation in the project, and the results if they will apply their knowledge of Scrum to the given project.
- The training will also help them to understand Scrum related standard operating procedures that can impact their work.
- They will understand the principle of the management of change programs and how it can be used in their work. For example, it is important to get approval for making any change in the project
- It will help them to think deeply about the ways that can help in completing the project successfully in a given period
- To collaborate with the team, customers, and make them understand the values and principles of scrum and timely delivery of the project.
- Training will help them to understand the different hurdles that may arise in between and ways to handle such problems to complete the project successfully.
The role played by a PSM in the team
A professional scrum master plays different roles. The main roles and responsibilities of a PSM in the team are:
- Helping the organization especially the scrum team to develop an agile mindset
- Enhancing the quality of the product and reducing the time to deliver the project
- Helping the development team to become self-organized and self-empowered
- Building transparency, trust, and feedback
- Using a more appropriate framework to make the development team more productive
- Make sure that the framework is implemented properly to meet the needs of the scrum team
- He/she removes any hurdles or blocks that may prevent the scrum team to give optimum performance
- Developing a strong base of knowledge and practices of Scrum
- Educating the team about the latest developments around the scrum framework
- Expanding his/her career opportunities with Agile and Scrum skills
- Using newly developed approaches to solve complex problems
- Getting recognized as a holder of the globally recognized PSM certificate
- Increasing the earning potential because scrum masters receive more salary as compared to the professionals without certifications
- Strengthening important understanding of scrum among team members
- Gaining a new ability to see a project from different perspectives
- Creating an environment in the industry that gives rise to innovations
- Developing high-value customer-centric products
Steps for passing PSM I
The steps for passing the PSM I exam is given here:
- The first step is to go through the scrum guide again and again. Read it daily at least two times. You can mark the important points to make notes. You must understand the roles and responsibilities of a scrum master.
- The next step is to understand the scrum glossary.
- You must practice open assessments that are available on the official website. You must try to score 100% marks. This will help you to solve complicated questions that may come up in the exam.
- You must give mock tests to prepare for the PSM exam. This will help you to understand the pattern of the exam.
- You can also join an online course for getting PSM training to prepare for the exam. Choose an appropriate institute to get the training for the exam.
- The time duration of the exam is one hour and you must have at least 68 answers correct to clear the exam. You must be familiar with the important terms and concepts to clear the exam.
After passing the PSM also prepare for advanced-level PSM certifications that can help you in dealing with the complex situations that may occur during scrum management. For example, PSM II will improve your knowledge of real-world complicated problems and PSM III will help you to handle complicated teams and organizations properly Read More