What Should I Do If I Have Not Passed An EICR Inspection?

If my property fails an EICR inspection then the regulations state that any safety deficiencies found in the presence of a qualified electrician must be further investigated or corrected by a qualified person within 28 days, or sooner if the report recommends a shorter time frame for compliance. Once the required work has been completed, the lessor shall

  • Obtain written confirmation from a qualified person that the work performed complies with the electrical safety standard or that further examination or correction is required.
  • This written confirmation, along with a copy of the initial report requiring investigation or modification, shall be sent to each occupant of the dwelling unit within 28 days of completion of the work.
  • Submit the same confirmation and a copy of the original report to the local housing authority within 28 days of completion of the work.

If it is found that further investigation or repair is required. The above procedure should be repeated until electrical safety standards are met. Also check: EICR London

What enforcement action will be taken for non-compliance?

Local authorities are responsible for compliance and have a number of powers to ensure the safety of privately rented properties.

First, the local authority must inspect the property to investigate alleged violations. And if it finds non-emergency repairs, it must send a notice to the lessor indicating the necessary work. The lessor must then have the repairs made within 28 days. If the lessor wishes to contest the notice of repair of defects. He must submit a request to that effect to the municipal administration within 21 days of receiving the notice. The obligation to carry out the work is suspended until the local authority has given its response within seven days.

If at the end of the notice period, the landlord believes that he has not complied with his obligations (unless the notice of non-compliance has been withdrawn). The local authority may, with the agreement of the tenant, enter the dwelling to carry out the defective work. The municipality will then ask the landlord to reimburse the costs of the work.

If the municipality is satisfied that the lessor has not complied with the regulations. And that urgent remedial action is required. It may, with the agreement of the occupant, carry out urgent remedial action. And charge the lessor for the costs incurred.

The local authority also has the power to impose civil fines of up to £30,000 for non-compliance with electrical safety.

How can we help?

London Property Inspections can help homeowners by arranging for a qualified person to carry out an EICR inspection and test. You can also contact us if you have any questions about the details of these requirements.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *